A brief history of Royal Doulton pottery
Royal Doulton are a world famous brand that's been manufacturing since 1815.
- Founded in 1815 by John Doulton, Marther Jones and John Watts in Lambeth, South London
- They began trading as Jones, Watts & Doulton
- In 1820 the name changed to Doulton & Watts, without Marther Jones
- In 1853, the name changed to Doulton & Co. after the retirement of John Watts
- In 1882, they purchased a pottery factory in Burslem, Staffordshire but remained headquartered in Lambeth
- In 1971, owners S. Pearson & Son Ltd merged Doulton & Co. with Allied English Potteries
- The merged company included the brand names:
- Royal Doulton
- Dunn Bennett
- Royal Albert
- Royal Crown Derby
- Queen Anne
- Royal Adderley
- Royal Adderley Floral
- In 1993 the group was renamed as Royal Doulton plc
- In 2005 all brands taken over by Waterford Wedgwood
- In 2009 Waterford Wedgwood went into administration
- In 2015 Waterford Wedgwood was taken over by Finnish company Fiskars Corporation
Identification of Royal Doulton pottery
Where can you find out more?
A boxed set of four large, vertically-cut crystal tumblers. Second-hand.
A beautiful, bright blue, signed, stoneware jug from the 1920s. Second-hand.
A signed, tubelined vase from the 1920s, with a design by Lily Partington. Second-hand.
An unused, boxed set of four straight-cut crystal tumblers. Second-hand.
A high quality, unused, bone china teapot for one or two persons from the world famous, English maker Royal Doulton. Second-hand.