An attractive, modern-looking milk jug, or cream jug from early 20th century Germany, with simple, modernist design "2000". Second-hand.
What's for sale?
This is an attractive, modern looking cream jug or milk jug, made around the 1920s and 1930s by the by the German companies WMF and Wächtersbach Keramik.
It was part of a large range of kitchen and table ware, decorated in a variety of patterns. This pattern is referenced by "Dec. 2000" on the base and described in their 1929 trade catalogue as "Art grey on white ground". This jug had catalogue number 7326/2000 and was available in two sizes.
This range shows how styles changed between Art Nouveau and Art Deco. The small squares are reminiscent of work by modernists Joseph Maria Olbrich (1867-1908) and Charles Rennie Mackintosh (1868 - 1928).
Who made it and when?
It was made by WMF and Wächtersbach in Germany, around the 1920s to 1930s. The printed mark on the base reads:
- Dec 2000 (the decoration number)
Also impressed into the base :
- A faint 61549, or very similar
What condition is it in?
- In fair to good condition
- There is faint but visible crazing insideand out
- There is a chip on the lip of the spout
- There is a chip on the underneath, which is under the glaze so may have been caused during manufacture
What are the measurements?
- 10.5cm high (4.13 inches)
- 10cm handle to handle (4 inches)
- 7cm base diameter (2.75 inches)
- 230 grams
If you have any questions, just send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.