A metal and ceramic tea pot from early 20th century Germany, with simple, modernist design "2000". Second-hand.
What's for sale?
This is an attractive, metal and ceramic teapot, made around the 1920s and 1930s by the German companies WMF and Wächtersbach Keramik. It was part of a large range of kitchen and table ware.
In this design, the nickel-plated metalwork comprises the hinged lid, with geometric, decorative finial and a rim around the teapot's neck.
This pattern is referenced by "Dec. 2000" on the base and is described in their 1929 trade catalogue as "Art grey on white ground". This teapot had catalogue number 7326/2000 and was available in two sizes: 1 pint and 2 pints. This is the larger size.
This and similar ranges demonstrate the evolution of styles between Art Nouveau and Art Deco. The small squares and dotted colours are reminiscent of work by modernists Joseph Maria Olbrich (1867-1908) and Charles Rennie Mackintosh (1868 - 1928). We don't know exactly when these forms and designs were introduced, but their production spanned a long time. For example, hot water jugs in the range were first introduced in the late 19th century and were still appearing in the 1930s, updated with modern patterns like this.
Who made it and when?
It was made by WMF and Wächtersbach in Germany, around the 1920s to 1930s. The metalwork is signed below the hinge with the WMF running ostrich in a fully, horizontally-striped arch over the letters "WMF G". This was used between 1920 and 1930.
The printed mark on the base reads:
- Dec 2000 (the decoration number)
Also impressed very faintly into the base are:
- A shield with horizontal bands (the Wächtersbach mark)
- Very faintly, what appears to be 5149/2
What condition is it in?
- In very good condition
- There is visible crazing inside, so it has probably been used
- Very faint crazing on the outside is apparent on close inspection
- There is roughness on the lip of the spout, which looks like a glazing fault rather than a chip
- The metal shows its age in places with faint scratches and spots of tarnish, particularly on the lid's underside
- The plating is good overall and still very shiny and reflective
- The hinge is fully operational and the lid fits well
What are the measurements?
- 16cm high (6.3 inches)
- 23cm spout to handle (9 inches)
- 13cm base diameter (5.12 inches)
- 852 grams
If you have any questions, just send an email to email@example.com.